On October 29th Artist Rob Pruitt presented The First Annual Art Awards at The Guggenheim Museum in association with White Columns and realized together with Calvin Klein Collection. MC'd by the Delusional Downtown Divas, Pruitt conceived the event as a performance-based artwork modeled after Hollywood awards ceremonies. Nominees in nine categories included artists, curators, critics, and gallerists, recognizing projects that took place from January 2008 to June 2009.
The final list of winners is:
- Artist of the Year: Mary Heilmann
- Curator of the Year: Connie Butler
- Exhibition Outside the United States: Jeff Koons, Versailles, Château de Versailles, France
- Group Show of the Year, Gallery: Who’s Afraid of Jasper Johns? Tony Shafrazi Gallery, New York
- Group Show of the Year, Museum: The Pictures Generation, 1974–1984, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- New Artist of the Year: Ryan Trecartin
- The Rob Pruitt Award: Cynthia Plaster Caster
- Solo Show of the Year, Gallery: Manzoni: A Retrospective, Gagosian Gallery, New York
- Solo Show of the Year, Museum: Martin Kippenberger: The Problem Perspective, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, and Museum of Modern Art, New York
- Writer of the Year: Jerry Saltz
- Artist Joan Jonas and curator Kasper Konig were honored in the lifetime-achievement category.